In-House Laboratory Service
We have a well equipped laboratory located at the Callington premises where samples are run daily by our veterinary nurses. Some of the tests we are able to perform in-house include:
- Blood profiles – haematology, biochemistry, clotting profile, muscle enzymes, albumin
- Faecal occult blood testing
- Worm egg counts and comprehensive worming advice
- Full urinalysis
- Dermatology skin-scrape microscopy and ringworm culture
For laboratory tests that we are not able to run in house we have daily courier services taking the samples to the appropriate laboratories. We have an excellent relationship with these laboratories and they provide a fast and efficient service.
Cushings Disease & Testing:
Equine Cushing’s Disease is thought to affect over 20% of horses over the age of 15 and is a condition recognised almost daily in equine veterinary practice.
Clinical signs include:
- Laminitis & recurrent laminitis
- Hypertrichosis – an abnormal hair coat
- Excessive drinking and urination
- Abnormal fat distribution – pot belly, loss of muscle condition, loss of topline
- Peri-orbiatal fat (bulges above the eyes)
- Excessive and/or patchy sweating
- Recurrent infections
- Poor performance or lethargy
Running from 1st June 2017 until 31st October 2017 the ‘Talk About Laminitis’ scheme are offering vouchers for free lab fees for any horses being tested for cushings disease that have either not been tested before, or have been tested previously but are not on treatment for cushings disease.